Summer is often synonymous with entertaining. Whether it’s a pool party, BBQ or friendly drinks around a bonfire, summer is a season that is meant to be shared with friends and family.
After doing a complete overhaul on my backyard this past Spring, I finally deemed my backyard “entertaining worthy.” I mean, there was finally places to sit, a covered patio to provide some shade, and a new gas BBQ to prepare the meal. To say I have been looking forward to this moment would be an understatement.
Deciding what to serve my guests at my very first get-together was a pretty massive undertaking. Barbecued chicken, steak, corn, and potatoes were all heavily considered, however seeing how obsessed I am with burgers lately, big and juicy Veal & Mushroom Burgers made their way onto the menu! And while beer and burgers go together like… well, beer and burgers, I wanted to serve my guests something that not only brings together the flavours of the summer, but quenches your thirst… and this Summer Fruit Sangria totally hits the spot.
And thank goodness for the in-door ice dispenser in my LG refrigerator! It was able to keep the drinks of all my guests cool with both cubed and crushed ice! Nothing is more refreshing!
Summer Fruit Sangria
There is nothing more refreshing than a sangria on a hot summer afternoon. What’s great about sangria’s is they are totally customizable and can be prepared quickly and easily. Whether you are mixing up a batch for a party, or for you to enjoy on the patio, sangria’s are the drink of summer!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 bottles (1.5L) of red wine
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 bottle (1L) club soda
- 3 cups Sprite
- 4 cups of assorted fresh sliced fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, peaches, oranges)
1. Make a simple syrup by boiling equal parts water and sugar until the sugar dissolves; approximately 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix simple syrup with red wine, pineapple juice, club soda, and sprite.
3. Add sliced fruit and 2-3 cups of ice cubes.
4. Serve sangria over ice.