When I was younger, I loved to paint and draw. I still do to this day however, I don’t make as much time for it as I should. Being a graphic designer by trade, most of my time is spent in front of a computer. It’s always nice to step away and create something with your hands every now and then, making happy mistakes that you can’t undo by simply hitting command+z. I’m a sucker for beautiful patterns and textures and sometimes the art that I love is simply out of my budget. Using a wood block with rope or twine, create a one-of-a-kind piece of art that you can treasure for years to come. Tackle this solo to get your creative juices flowing or get the kiddies involved!
– Scrap wood block
– Watercolour paper
– Picture frame
Instructions: This example creates 3 different patterns
1. Take your rope and cut about 15-24” off.
2. Tie this piece of rope around the block, tying it on one side to secure it
3. On the side without the knot, arrange or move the pieces of rope to create your desired design
4. Dip the block in ink, making sure to cover each piece of rope
5. Using the block as a stamp, create a pattern onto your paper. Once you’re happy with the pattern, let the paper dry and frame it on your wall!