I’ve never been one to sit on the floor much, but when you have two infants, you’re not left with much of a choice, especially once the crawling begins! My twin boys are constantly on the floor for tummy time and playing, and I wanted a pillow cover that would be tough enough to handle their continued abuse, so I made a floor pillow – out of a doormat!
This was (very surprisingly to me, someone who never sews) extremely easy to make!
- A 2×3’ cotton doormat
- A large upholstery needle
- Regular thread
- An old pillow
- A medium sized hook to hold the flap closed
- First, figure out how you want the “envelope” to go. I found this to be the easiest way to sew the pillow cover so that it would be removable without needing a zipper or even a sewing machine! That’s right – this was all done by hand!
- Sew the bottom part of the envelope on both sides. I used a simple double cross stitch for this.
- If your rug has a fringe like mine, cut it off on the inside of the envelope. I found it got in the way, otherwise.
- Now fold your envelope back into place and sew the other two sides.
- Next I sewed a small hook on the top flap of the envelope just to make sure the pillow would stay “closed” since I wanted this to be as large as possible. If there was a bit more of an overlap, this would probably be unnecessary.
- You’re now ready to insert your pillow! I used an old standard sized pillow for this and it fit like a glove!
And just like that, in less than a couple of hours, a brand new pillow cover for the boys to play on, and that we can easily take out to the backyard as well.The perfect place to keep it when it’s not being used? Under the Natura End Table so it’s easy to access, put away, and actually looks good, too!When one baby is napping and the other one just won’t budge, I can sit here and enjoy a few moments of quiet playtime and maybe even flip through a magazine!