In the winter months, my inner-tea-fiend comes out and I can easily tuck away 3-6 mugs a day. But sometimes, I don’t want all of the caffeine that comes with many teas, and I also crave some variety, so I opt for making my own herbal loose leaf teas — which is both easy and oodles more affordable than buying loose leaf teas!
Perhaps the best part about making your own loose-leaf tea is the options you have to customize the brew. Using my recipe below as a base, you can easily swap the dried mint for any plain black tea leaves you find at your local bulk food store, or swap the blueberries in favor for dried apricots, ginger, or even candied orange peels!
The richness and flavor that comes from the pecans adds depth to this otherwise light tea, and the blueberries add some sweetness. A refreshing palette cleanser, this loose-leaf tea is the perfect accompaniment to your breakfast, or sipped after a heavy holiday meal. My recipe for Minted Blueberry Pecan Tea is perfect as a gift, stocking-stuffer, or kept all to yourself!
- 1/2 cup dried mint (make your own or buy it at your local bulk store)
- 1/3 c dried blueberries
- 1/4 c toasted pecan pieces
- 1 large or 3 small air-tight containers
- Optional: I have ample mint in my backyard gardens, so I clean and air-dry my own mint leaves at the end of summer, but you can easily skip this step and go directly to step 2 if you’d rather purchase dry mint from your local bulk food store.
- If you’re using nuts in your mix, lightly toast your pecan pieces in a frying pan or the oven.
- The rest is easy! Gather your preferred ingredients and have fun making your mix. Chamomile would make a great alternative to peppermint!
- Play around with different ratios. After making a test cup of tea with my first mix, I decided to add more blueberries to increase the sweetness. Keep testing and tasting as you go!
- Once you find your sweet spot, package your tea in air-tight jars. These tea tins make for a great Holiday gift or stocking stuffer, or you can keep it all to yourself and enjoy with your favourite Holiday cookie!