First of all, let’s start by avoiding confusion, because there are no actual lemons in true Brazilian lemonade – there are limes. For whatever reason, us Brazilians have it inverted, and the green stuff is what we call lemons.
Now that we have that out of the way, let me show you what this delicious drink looks like:
It’s as refreshing as it looks and makes for a great Summer drink that is easy to make and impress your guests or family members with! Oh and you only need 5 ingredients to make it!
- 4 limes and/or lemons
- 6 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ of a can of condensed milk
- Start by mixing the water and sugar together until all of the sugar dissolves. You can keep this ready in the fridge until you actually need it to save some time – the rest is best made just before serving.
- Wash all of the limes thoroughly because they will be used in their entirety for the drink. Cut off the ends and cut the limes into eighths.
- In a blender, add half of the limes and sugar water. Pulse until you have a smoothie-like consistency. Strain the mixture into a pitcher through a fine mesh strainer and repeat with the second half.
- Mix in condensed milk, add ice to taste, and you’re done!
It’s possible that, depending on the limes you get, your drink is a little bitter. Just add more sugar or more condensed milk and your problem is fixed! To avoid bitterness, try to pick limes with the softest and smoothest skin, as they tend to have less of it.
I have tried this with just (yellow) lemons as well, but prefer it with a mix of the two, even though true Brazilian lemonade is made with just limes. I have yet to be disappointed by this drink or meet someone who is! It makes for a sweet and refreshing Summer beverage that you just can’t go wrong with! And hey, let me know when you’ve tried it!