My favourite gifts to give at Christmas are handmade ones, especially the edible kind. For me baking is just as much about the process as the end result. Sure you can go out and buy something delicious and it may even cost you less but it’s about the time spent in your kitchen with the music on watching your ingredients slowly transform into little bits of goodness. This is a great recipe for the season because these bites look like snowballs, and in the kitchen the snow is always white 😉 Today I’m going to share my favourite recipe for Almond Snowball Cookies. (Also known as Italian Wedding Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes)
This recipe is great for the baking rookie because it’s super simple. And for the pros out there, you can easily change the flavours up depending on the season or your mood, or who you’re trying to impress. I chose almond because it’s a favourite of mine but you could make them coconut, lemon, etc.
ALMOND SNOWBALL COOKIES
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
3/4 cup confectioners sugar, plus 1/3 cup, for rolling
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds
3 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. almond extract
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream butter in a bowl. Gradually add confectioners sugar and salt. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add almonds, vanilla and almond extract. Blend in flour gradually and mix well. If dough is too sticky add a bit more equal parts flour & confectioners sugar.
- Shape into 1″ balls Place on parchemont lined or ungreased cookie sheets, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not brown.
- Cool slightly, then roll in the extra confectioners’ sugar.
Super easy! They are delicious on their own or even better with a fresh brewed coffee or steaming hot tea on a cold winter day. Serve to your guests or wrap them up all pretty for a great hostess or Christmas gift.
Related: Gingerbread Bars